With the trend of global integration in recent years, many students, including those who have worked, have the desire to spread their wings across the five continents. To do this, each person needs to equip themselves with one of the English certificates as a passport. The popular English certifications today are IELTS, TOEFL, and TOEIC. PTE is one of them. So what is PTE? How does the PTE test work? What do you know about the PTE exam and how to register for the PTE exam?
PTE Is Certificate Only With The Value As IELTS And TOEFL
Currently, there are 3 TYPES OF PTE CERTIFICATES:
- PTE Academic (Academic)
- PTE General (General for high school students)
- PTE Young Learners (For children)
In particular, PTE Academic is the most popular PTE exam for those who want to study, work or settle in English-speaking countries. Special, at New Zealand and Australia, 100% of the fields are accept this certificate only and the migration also considers the certificate PTE as one of the conditions for certifying English language proficiency when applying for permanent residence COMPLETELY REPLACE certificates such as IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge, … when converting to equivalent scores.
For more certainty, you can see a list of organizations that accredit the PTE Academic exam: https://pearsonpte.com/the-test/who-accept-it/
Pearson Education is the competition to organize the unit. Pearson Education belongs to the famous Pearson Group with a long history of development. Present in Vietnam since 2009, Pearson currently has two PTE Academic Marketing Centers in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
PTE Score Conversion Table
PTE to IELTS score conversion table
PTE score conversion table to TOEFL iBT
|40 – 44
|54 – 56
|65 – 66
|74 – 75
|87 – 88
|99 – 100
Note: This score conversion is PROPOSED BY PTE ACADEMIC AND APPROVED BY DIBP. Test takers should actively check the website of the institution or organization to which they are applying to see THE SPECIFIC SCORE REQUIREMENTS.
Who Are The Participants Of The PTE Exam?
Those who plan to settle, work or study in English-speaking countries. You must be 16 years old to register for the exam. Persons aged 16-18 must have written consent and signatures from their parents before registering for the exam. Persons from the age of 18 can register for the exam by themselves.
Structure Of The PTE Exam
THE SPECIAL FEATURE of the PTE format is that you will be tested on your Speaking and Writing skills together. Not separate 4 skills like the IELTS test.
The PTE Academic test will include 5 tests on 4 skills (Listening – Speaking – Reading – Writing) on a computer with a duration of 180 minutes.
Part 1: Test your Speaking and Writing skills (Speaking & Writing). Time from 54 to 67 minutes.
Part 2: Test reading skills. Time from 29 – 30 minutes.
Part 3: Test your Listening skills. Time 30 – 43 minutes.
After the end of the test time, the tests WILL BE GRADED ENTIRELY BY COMPUTER, so you will know the results of the test very quickly. Usually, after about 24 hours and no later than 5 days after the test. You will know the exact results.
Currently, PTE Academic has been organized in 46 COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD WITH MORE THAN 210 EXAM BOARDS. You can find exam boards and register for exams at: https://pearsonpte.com/
Paying The PTE Exam Fee
Compared to IELTS, the PTE exam fee is slightly lower.
- The PTE exam fee is 180 USD equivalent to 4,500,000 VND.
Change Or Cancel Your PTE Exam Schedule
The flexibility of the PTE exam is that you can register for the test at any time including within 48 hours of the test date. So you can most accurately determine which calendar you can join. After that, registration is not a problem. But if you have registered early, your plan has changed, and you want to change or cancel the exam schedule. The implementation is not too complicated.
To Change The Exam Schedule, You Can Go Through The Following 3 Channels:
- Website: https://pearsonvue.com/pte
- Phone: https://pearsonvue.com/contact
- Live chat online: https://home.pearsonvue.com/pte/contact
Note: Depending on the test cancellation period, will determine whether you will get the full exam fee or not.
- If it’s over 14 days, you get a FULL 100% refund of your subscription.
- If you cancel your exam schedule within 7-14 days of the exam, you will be refunded 50% of the exam fee paid.
- If you cancel your exam less than 7 days before the test date, you will NOT RECEIVE a refund.
Information To Know On The Day Of Taking The PTE Exam
Specific notes about the exam date and some other information are sent to candidates by the PTE exam organizer RIGHT IN THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL. You need to make sure you meet the requirements in this email.
Be Present At The PTE Test Site
Candidates must be at the test site at least 30 minutes before the exam time.
If a candidate is present when the test has started more than 15 minutes late, the candidate is NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE THE EXAM this time. When you arrive, remember to sign your name at the reception desk of the PTE test center.
Candidates are provided with the “PTE Academic Candidate Regulation Agreement” at the test center. Candidates must read and agree to the terms of this agreement.
Personal items are not allowed to bring into the exam room, candidates need to keep them in a safe storage cabinet. Note that candidates are not allowed access to this area until the test is completed.
PTE has been present in many developed countries now.
Identity Documents And Biometric Data When Taking The PTE Exam
When taking the PTE exam, the examiner needs to make sure that your screening is valid and matches the information registered in the booking declaration. In Vietnam, you are required to have a passport to take this exam. If you take the PTE exam in other countries, you can check out https://pearsonpte.com/acceptable-id for information on whether they accept the use of alternative identification for a passport.
On the day of the test, the supervisor will check the student’s identification, take a photo, and scan the veins of the student’s hand. Also, Pearson may make a copy of your ID when you present it at the test center.
The centers are authorized to organize the exam using state-of-the-art CCTV to record possible ranges. Pearson may share this data with your educational institution or government agency upon request.
A passport used to apply for PTE.
Items To Bring In Before Taking The PTE
Because PTE is a very objective exam. To ensure this, candidates need to coordinate with the test center when taking the PTE exam. Not all personal items may be brought into the exam room. Supplies that can be brought into the exam room include:
- Paper towels.
- Cough medicine (opened).
- Pillows to support the injured neck, back, arms, and legs.
- Sweaters and jackets. Or an outfit that has pockets but you don’t want to take it off to check. You must show the proctor that the bag is empty.
- Glasses and hearing aids.
- Neck belt (for those who are injured in the neck area).
- Insulin pump attached to the individual body.
Prohibited Acts During The Exam
Certain behaviors are strictly prohibited while taking the PTE exam. Includes, but is not limited to, the following actions:
- Eating, drinking, and smoking in the area at the center of the competition.
- Shuffle positions with other contestants.
Request, offer, or accept assistance from another candidate. Or the center staff organizes the test during the test.
Use study materials, and take notes during exams and breaks.
- Take the test for someone else or let someone else take the test for you.
- Prevent the computer from working.
- Copy center question or answer. Or share questions and answers with others.
You can take a break after finishing the “Reading” section. Before leaving the exam room and after returning to the exam room you will be asked to have a palm vein scan. You are not allowed to leave the test site building during recess. Contestants are allowed to use the restrooms in the building.
Start Taking The PTE
When it’s time to take the test, the proctor will guide you into the exam room. The supervisor assigns you a seat, and the location of the machine, and the device is equipped with a headset and microphone. Candidates are provided with an erasable writing pad and pen. Note: candidates are not allowed to take notes anywhere (including the whiteboard) until the test has started.
Next, the computer screen will display a prompt not to disclose information on the screen. Also, instructions on testing the device to make sure the headset and microphone are working properly are shown on the computer screen. If there are any problems or technical problems during the machine test, raise your hand and immediately notify the Supervisor.
The PTE Exam
The PTE exam is organized to test the candidates’ ability to use English. There are four test contents in a complete test, including: Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing.
- Listening: Candidates listen to a number of questions with different English accents. You are only allowed to listen once and the audio/video content will not be played back during the test.
- Speaking: Candidates are asked to answer a number of questions to test your ability to use the language. You don’t get a chance to record your speech. Therefore, it is necessary to think carefully before giving an answer into the system. Limit hesitation, hesitation, unnaturalness, and incorrect pronunciation in this test to improve the score for the speaking section.
- Writing: You will be asked to answer some questions in English. For this section of the test, you have a certain amount of time to answer. If you can’t answer any of the questions, you can move on to the next question.
- Reading: This section tests your reading comprehension and analysis skills. You will be assessed on your ability to read passages, answer questions with a single skill, and combine more complex skills.
With questions or problems, contact the Supervisor. Note, do not affect other candidates. In cases where you can contact the supervisor such as: having problems with software, hardware, …
As instructed above, you can take a break after the Reading test for about 10 minutes. If you rest longer than this, your test time will be reduced. Outside of the above time, you can take unplanned breaks. But this is something that should not be done.
When you wish to take a break in the above manner, you may ask the Superintendent. Your proctor will put your test computer in sleep mode. However, the computer still calculates the time for you. As such, the time you rest will be deducted from your test time. This may affect your test results.
Is The PTE Exam Easier than The IELTS Test?
Both IELTS and PTE Academic are tests of English language ability. Each English certificate has its advantages, depending on your level, you can choose the appropriate exam certificate.
What Are The Advantages Of The PTE Academic Test?
From the time of registration, and taking the test to receiving the results, all is done via computer. This is the biggest advantage of PTE Academic over other language tests. You do not need to go to the test center to register.
Continuous test schedule: because it is an online exam, the exam schedule will be more flexible and more expensive than other tests. You can follow the exam schedule at your place and choose the appropriate test date.
- Exam results are updated quickly: you will receive an email notifying you of your test results within 5 days at the latest. Then, you can directly send the link to the results to the schools you want to apply to study abroad.
What Should I Pay Attention To When Taking The PTE Academic Test?
- Practice typing skills to improve test performance.
- Check the microphone carefully. Make sure they don’t slip or fall during the test. The audio transmitted to the computer is clear and uninterrupted.
- Make sure the four skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing are equal to get the maximum score. Because the skills in the PTE are assessed in conjunction and interlaced with each other, not separately like other tests.
- Practice regularly on free PTE certification exam preparation software such as BoostPTE The Best PTE Practice Tools to practice proficiency.
For the Speaking test, you need to answer firmly and clearly. Avoid hesitating, or interrupting, you will lose points unjustly.
Just use the right words and correct grammar, no need to use a variety of words.
If you feel that preparing for IELTS or TOEFL is too difficult, you can switch to PTE Academic. Because this test is scored by computer, it is very objective and reduces stress for candidates. More importantly, you can actively register for another test if you are not satisfied with the previous results.
How Long Is A PTE License Valid?
PTE certification is usually valid for 2 years. Particularly for immigration and vocational skills assessment in Australia, the validity period is 3 years.
What Is The Accreditation Level Of The PTE Certification?
PTE certification has been recognized by many universities, colleges, and organizations around the world. Specifically, MORE THAN 9,000 INSTITUTIONS IN MORE THAN 130 COUNTRIES have accepted the PTE Academic certificate as a criterion for meeting the English language requirements of applicants.
Degree Of Recognition Of The PTE Certificate For Studying Abroad
100% of Universities and Colleges in Australia and New Zealand, including top schools.
Two-thirds of schools in the US, UK, and Canada, including world-famous schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc.
- United Kingdom School Admission System (UCAS).
- International TESOL Association.
- Most Universities of Finland (UAF).
Degree Of Recognition Of The PTE Certificate For Immigration
- The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).
- Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).
- Irish Citizenship and Immigration Service (INIS) (for student visas on long-term visas).
- UK Border Agency (for Tier 1, 2, 4 General Student visas).
Besides, PTE Academic results are also recognized at several other organizations such as training institutions in France, Spain, and China, … Business schools: INSEAD and HEC Paris in France; IESE, IE Business School, ESADE in Spain; SDA Bocconi in Italy, … and other art and music schools.